The water wheel was replaced by a water turbine at the end of the 19th century and this is the water power that is still in place today.
“Francis-type” water turbine possibly supplied by H.P.Vacher of Winchester and installed by Garnish and Lemon of Pilton, Barnstaple in 1899/1900.
The leat system was built in December 1898 by a Mr Brailey who also built the trench for the water coming from the turbine (in June 1899) – possibly John Brailey of Withypool, former Mine Captain at Bremley Iron Mine, Molland in the 1880s and of Blackland Mine, Withypool in 1895.
The chamber at the intake from the leat was built in June 1899 by Charlie Balment, the Estate Mason between 1898 and 1919, who lived a No 2 West Cottages.
The turbine went out of use in 1952 and was restored in 2002 by Alec Gannon Metalwork of Luxborough.
Click on the images below to view larger pictures.