On 20 December 1898 George Smyth-Richards sent Viscount Ebrington a new plan. He saw that advantages of this being that the farm buildings would be kept quite separate from the saw mill. It envisaged that the granary would be an extension at the west end of the existing buildings. By pulling down the wall across Saw Mill and building a wing southwards, logs could be brought in on trolleys to the saw bench from above and the sawn timber and outshells can be run out to be stacked in the yard below. This would save labour in handling the timber.
The Carpenters Shop, Ironmongery Store and the foreign timber store would be provided in the old building in addition to one half of the saw mill. Because of the fall from north to south across the site, a chaff house could be provided in the basement. This would mean that the mill and chaff cutter could stand on the floor of the barn again saving labour in chaff cutting. A granary would be provided over part of this building.
Two days before Christmas 1898 further changes were suggested by George Smyth-Richards. Following discussion between Mr Bowden and Mr Lemon it was suggested that it might be advisable to somewhat alter the position of the turbine so as to let the shafting run East to West instead of North to South. The course of the tail race at the higher end would need to be altered and this might allow the barn to be shifted to the West side. George Smyth-Richards felt that “ the principles laid down are correct and we have to consider the best way of carrying them into effect bearing in mind the old buildings, position of machinery and with due regard to economy.”
Mr Smyth-Richards assistant, Mr Bowden, met John Lemon of Garnish and Lemon on 28 December 1898 and they went through the plans in detail. Mr Lemon apparently thoroughly approved of the position and arrangement of the barn and granary and considered that this block would be situated in exactly the correct position. Mr Smyth-Richards sent Viscount Ebrington a pencil tracing the same day showing the result of their joint ideas.
He explained that the main issue related to the saw mill and carpenter’s shop. He felt that the previous plan – presumably the one showing the shafting aligned East to West - had been workable but its value was reduced because of the extra cost of shafting, pulleys, and so on and the alteration of the wheel together with the need to alter the tail water race,. The new plan showed the retention of the existing tail water race with the turbine in its original position and so only about 30’0” of extra shafting would be required plus two new pulleys.
He suggested that the saw could be provided with either a rack bench or trolleys and in either case the logs would be rolled in from the timber yard above, through the big opening. After being converted they would be taken to the carpenters shop, put into a new lean-to drying shed or stacked in the yard outside as required. The small portion of the existing lean to could be used as a store for ironmongery or any other purpose. He thought that flooring boards, deals etc. could be stored in the roof over the saw mill.